Job Announcement: Staff Attorney, Civil Protection Order Project (Full-Time)
We are looking for a passionate staff attorney to join our Civil Protection Order Project (CPOP) team! CPOP is a one-of-a-kind project that offers litigation and mediation services to respondents in civil protection order (CPO) cases. CPOP’s goals are to (1) provide mediation services in CPO cases; (2) create systemic change in the way CPO cases are resolved, and (3) reduce the number of respondents who violate CPOs and commit further acts of violence.
About DC Law Students in Court:
Since 1969, D.C. Law Students in Court’s (LSIC) mission has been to teach and inspire the next generation of law students while providing the highest quality legal representation to the District’s low-income residents. LSIC was born from the ashes of the urban uprisings that consumed Washington, D.C. following the assassination of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. on April 4, 1968. These uprisings not only spotlighted the poor living conditions plaguing the District’s largely African-American communities but the need for greater access to high-quality legal representation as well. In response, a progressive consortium of District of Columbia law schools created D.C. Law Students in Court in order to ensure equal access to justice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee volunteer attorneys working on the Project:
- Work with the Director to review referrals and intakes and select cases and volunteers.
- Supervise volunteer attorneys, law fellows, and legal intern/externs.
- Review all written attorney work product, including motions, pleadings, opening and closing statements, and direct and cross examinations.
- Supervise CPO hearings and trials at court
- Report case outcomes; evaluate and report volunteer performance.
- Provide high quality direct representation in assigned CPO cases.
- Present at volunteer attorneys, law fellows, legal intern/externs, and social worker students training sessions as needed.
- Assist the Director with CPOP’s community outreach efforts as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A J.D. degree from an accredited law school.
- Active DC Bar membership or ability to become an active DC member prior to the first day of employment.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of relevant work experience, preferably with direct legal services experience representing respondents in domestic violence and/or family law. Experience supervising attorneys in a legal setting and criminal defense experience are also pluses.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop good working relationships with clients, volunteers, court personnel, and other legal service providers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities at once.
- Ability to work independently and/or with minimal supervision.
Accountability: Reports to CPOP Director.
Hours and Salary: This is a full-time position based on a 40 hour work week. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Benefits: We offer an excellent benefits package for this full-time position including employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, generous accrued sick leave, annual leave, and personal leave and paid federal holidays.
To Apply: LSIC has a non-discrimination policy and encourages all interested and qualified applicants to apply regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or other status protected by applicable law.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, current resume, a (no more than ten pages) writing sample, and references to Trevor Osterhaus, Business & Operations Manager, at email@example.com. Please indicate “CPOP Staff Attorney, [your full name] and [your favorite U.S. Supreme Court case]” in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.